How Do Orders For Protection Work?

In Minnesota, you can file for an Order for Protection (OFP) if you or your minor child has been the victim of domestic violence, or you may find it necessary to defend if you have been wrongly accused of domestic abuse. Essentially, paper work is completed that tells your story. A judge will review the paperwork and determine if the facts justify an immediate ex parte order. If so, a hearing will be set, during which witnesses may testify. The court will make a determination if an order should be granted.

A domestic abuse attorney can help you in pursuing an OFP. Call the lawyers at Terzich & Ort, LLP, to discuss your situation at 763-391-7354.

What Protections Are Included?

If the order is granted, it may offer certain protections, including:

  • Restrain the parties from having any contact with each other which can include no contact in person, by telephone, letter or through a third party.
  • Grant possession of a home to one of the parties.
  • Establish temporary custody and parenting time.
  • Grant temporary child support or spousal maintenance to one of the parties.
  • Order one or both of the parties to participate in counseling or therapy.
  • Award temporary possession of personal property.
  • Order a party that the court believes has committed domestic abuse to compensate the victim for medical bills and/or lost income as a result of injuries sustained.

Whether or not a judge orders any, or all of the above, depends on the facts of your Minnesota domestic violence case.

Get More Information And Assistance

If you are a victim or have been accused of abuse, contact our Maple Grove offices for more information. You can call us at 763-391-7354. You can also email our office to make an appointment.

You will find links to court forms that you may need at the Minnesota Courts website: